The vision of the BIMP-EAGA initiative is to realize socially acceptable and sustainable economic development and the full participation of the subregion in the ASEAN development process.
BIMP-EAGA’s short- to medium-term goal is to become a major location in ASEAN for high-value-added agro-industry, natural resource-based manufacturing, and high-end tourism. The longer-term goal is to ensure that non-resource-based industries are established in the subregion.
The strategic objective is to accelerate economic development, improve export competitiveness and enhance the attractiveness of the subregion to local and foreign investors by:
• Maximizing the participating countries’ comparative advantages with respect to regional and global markets
• The energetic exploitation of economic complementarities within the subregion
• The extensive and sustainable use of shared natural resources, technology, and information
• Dynamic joint action to overcome constraints to economic development
• The active expansion of intra-industry and intra-businesses trade through the specialization and regionalization of production.